This might help with the SpatialView/3D Tech research, or more likely the upcoming project regarding an improved GPS system for the visually impaired.
5 Keys to Successful Design Research
[Here are the headings, but make sure to check the link above to read further into each]
1. Embrace your participants' world view
2. Think carefully about who you want to talk to
3. Plan what you're going to do in the field
4. Be prepared to really sift through your data to find the best nuggets
5. Remember that design research is a skill and takes practice