Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A complete thesis example.


I have been attending the ID grad show for over 10 years and I have to say that the last two years have been very disappointing and I feel the school is reaching in too many broad directions and the graduate work has left me perplexed and confused. I have often visited the shows with friends and family and unfortunately they had left the grad hows commenting on how poorly the ID work looked and how confusing many of the exhibits were.

The purpose of this blog is to share my thoughts on what makes a good thesis presentation:


1. Clarity of concept. No one should be left scratching their heads about what you are trying to do.

2. Lots of examples of ideation and research. This is some of the most interesting stuff.

3. Simple and easy to follow presentation. Not too wordy. Use good graphic design, video, colour, etc. Make sure that your project is near eye level. This may require you build a stand.

4. Low and high fidelity models as needed to clarify the concept. Nothing beats being able to walk up and experience your concept.

5. Be ready to show yourself off to the world. You are creative so don't keep it to yourself!


Here is what I think is a complete thesis and a level of quality we can all achieve for 4th year.

It does take thoughful planning and management to achieve all the aspects (research, ideation, model making, video editing, storyboarding, etc).




I am very impressed by the video of the thin plug for the UK power system. Check it out and I hope everyone gets some great ideas for their final projects.



No comments:

Post a Comment